Best Pet Insurance for Pre-Existing Conditions
When you are looking to buy pet insurance for your dog or cat, you will notice that most insurance providers don’t provide cover for pre-existing conditions.
A lot of people find this confusing, so that’s why we’ve decided to take a closer look at what exactly a pre-existing condition is.
What Is a Pre-Existing Condition for Pet Insurance?
A pre-existing condition for pet insurance purposes is any injury or illness that your pet has been suffering from before you started your insurance. This includes any conditions diagnosed before the end of any waiting periods. Also, any associated ongoing costs that relate to the treatment of the pre-existing condition wouldn’t be covered.
Some insurers distinguish between curable and incurable conditions and will provide cover for your pet if their condition is curable, and your dog or cat has been symptom-free for 12 months.
Examples of curable pre-existing conditions are respiratory infections, urinary tract infections, bladder infections, vomiting, diarrhea, and gastrointestinal disorders.
What Pre-existing Conditions Are not Covered?
Conditions like cancer, diabetes, arthritis, allergies, and other chronic conditions would be classified as pre-existing conditions if your pet had them before you took out your pet insurance.
If your pet develops symptoms that your vet recognizes as being associated with an illness or injury that occurred before your insurance policy was active, any associated treatments would also not be covered.
If your pet was involved in an accident and develops medical problems down the track that relate to the initial incident, the treatment might not be covered. Most pet insurers provide a list of pre-existing conditions that they exclude.
Are Allergies Considered a Pre-Existing Condition for Pet Insurance?
Some pets are predisposed to allergies or have seasonal reactions to pollen and grasses.
Allergies are classified as a pre-existing condition for pet insurance if it is an incurable condition, or a reoccurring one. Costs related to the treatment of allergies in cats and dogs will usually only be covered if their allergies occurred after the end of the insurance policy waiting period.
Delaying taking your pet to the vet until after the waiting period has passed is not a solution, because your vet will recognize if the underlying cause of the allergies is related to a pre-existing condition.
What's the Best Pet Insurance for Pre-Existing Conditions?
If your pet has a pre-existing condition, the best pet insurance for them is Embrace. This is because they will evaluate your pet’s pre-existing condition and distinguish between curable and incurable conditions.
If your pet is without symptoms for 12 months, and their condition is curable, they will provide cover.
Dog Insurance for Pre-Existing Conditions
We reviewed many dog insurance companies providing coverage for pre-existing conditions, and these are the top ones:
- Multiple services included.
- Holistic care covered
- Dental services can be reimbursed
- 24/7 assistance
- Only cover accidents for old pets.
- 12-month waiting period for pre-existing diseases.
Some of the services included in the coverage are regular vet visit bills, emergency treatments, specialist visits, and rehabilitation. They also provide coverage for pre-existing conditions that they classify in curable and incurable. If it’s a curable case, you can get covered. You can access the reimbursement pretty easily and a 24/7 help line is available.
See how Embrace can help your dog: https://www.embracepetinsurance.com/
- Pre-existing diseases are covered.
- No age-related limits.
- Vaccinations included.
- Discounts for severe illnesses treatments.
- Non-medical outsourced services are not covered.
- 25% savings available only.
Pet Assure offers a discount card that will grant you different deductions based on the service you use for your dog’s care. Dogs of any age and all breeds qualify for this card. Moreover, even if your pet has a pre-existing condition, you can benefit from these discounts. Although this service is not as inclusive as regular coverage, it is a great way to save money.
See how much Pet Assure can save you on your dogs pre-existing condition: https://www.petassure.com/
- Dental care treatment is reimbursed.
- Rehabilitation and surgery are covered.
- All dogs qualify, regardless of their age.
- You don’t have to pay an enrollment fee.
- Wellness services are not included.
- You don’t get covered for pre-existing conditions.
You can save anywhere between $50 and $250 at your vet by using this insurance. Different services are covered if your cat gets injured, for example, examinations, imaging tests, rehabilitation, etc. Extra procedures such as acupuncture or behavioral therapy or chiropractic procedures can also be reimbursed. The average cost of the insurance is $35 per month.
Find out more about Pet Plan’s exclusions: https://www.gopetplan.com/
- Hereditary conditions are included.
- Dogs with chronic disease qualify.
- Good for emergencies.
- Great customer supports.
- Pre-existing conditions can’t be included in the insurance.
- 30-dyas claim processing waiting period.
Pet First allows you to customize your dog’s insurance. All sorts of age-related conditions are covered, as well as any case of emergency. You can benefit from good customer support service any day of the week and it is also easy to submit a claim. The period they require to process each claim is up to 30 days.
Head to the Pet First website for a free quote: https://www.petfirst.com/pet-insurance/dog-insurance/
- Discounts for pet families.
- Affordable in case of emergency.
- Up to $3000 of costs for life-threatening conditions.
- Online vet assistance
- Pre-existing conditions are covered.
- Routine procedures are not included.
- Regular check-ups are noy covered.
Pawp mainly works as an emergency fund. You can get coverage of up to $3000 for your medical bills in case of life-threatening conditions or emergencies that require immediate attention. Pre-existing conditions are also covered. A vet will evaluate your pet online and determine if there is an emergency that requires immediate care.
For emergency attention head to the Pawp website: https://pawp.com/
Just because your dog has a pre-existing condition doesn’t mean you should give up on the idea of buying dog insurance.
Cat Insurance for Pre-Existing Conditions
We reviewed many leading cat insurance providers, and here’s our list of the best cat insurance providers for pre-existing conditions:
- Diagnostic tests and surgeries included are covered.
- Some alternative therapies are included.
- Pre-existing conditions can be covered.
- You get reimbursement for prescription medications.
- Limited coverage for older cats.
- If the cat suffers from pre-existing conditions, you have to wait to get reimbursed.
You can get reimbursement for up to 90% of your vet bills. It is possible to personalize your cat’s plan. If the cat suffers from a pre-existing condition, it should be curable for you to be able to get reimbursed for the related expenses, and this is possible only after 12 months if no symptoms are present. Regular vet visit bills, accidents, surgery, and rehabilitation are covered, among other services.
See how Embrace can help your cat: https://www.embracepetinsurance.com/
- Accidents and rehabilitation are covered.
- Covers chronic disease treatment.
- No age-related eligibility criteria.
- Dental insurance included.
- Preventive care isn’t included.
- Pre-existing conditions aren’t covered.
Pet Plan provides comprehensive coverage for cats. The coverage includes, among others, vet examinations, emergency visits, dental care, hereditary conditions, diagnostic tests, virtual vet appointments, acupuncture, ultrasound, hydrotherapy, and even behavioral therapy. A user-friendly mobile app is available for the claim process.
Find out more about Pet Plan’s exclusions: https://www.gopetplan.com/
- Flexible insurance.
- Great customer support.
- Easy claim submission process.
- After 6 months, extra cover becomes available.
- Pre-existing conditions are not included.
- Routine wellness is not covered.
Whether your dog suffers from arthritis, diabetes, blindness, periodontal disease, heart disease, or any other condition that aggravates with age, you can get comprehensive coverage from Pet First. For any questions you might have, you can contact their customer service department 7days/week. It takes little time to submit a claim.
Get free quote here: https://www.petfirst.com/pet-insurance/cat-insurance/
- Instant discounts.
- No cat age limit.
- No waiting times.
- Various in-house medical services are covered.
- Less comprehensive than regular insurance.
- You don’t get up to 90% reimbursement, which is possible with regular insurance.
Pet Assure is not a typical pet insurance. It is basically a discount card you can use whenever you go to the vet. You can enjoy various discounts for different needs your cat might have such as diabetes management, cancer treatments, tumor removal, emergencies, hospitalization, etc. This card is available for any cat breed or age, and you can use it as many times as your cat needs it.
Pet Assure can save you $ on your cats pre-existing condition: https://www.petassure.com/
- You’ve got the possibility to choose your vet.
- You can enjoy the reimbursement directly at the vet’s office.
- They offer a modern online claim tracking service.
- There are multiple ways to submit your claim.
- Not available for pre-existing conditions.
- The insurance varies as pets get older.
You can choose one of the two available insurance plans for your cat: accident-only coverage or total coverage. However, no matter what plan you choose, you won’t get covered for pre-existing conditions. Nonetheless, you can enjoy multiple advantages such as coverage for holistic care and the fact that you can get reimbursements directly from the veterinary clinic.
Visit Pet Premium to find out more: https://www.petpremium.com/
Cats with pre-existing conditions don’t need to miss out on valuable cat insurance! Take a look at our listed providers.